Tuesday, June 13, 2017

How Thomas L. Vaultonburg Became The Greatest Dadaist of the 21st Century

The art world takes itself pretty seriously. Some people think maybe a little too seriously. For a brief while after WWI some of these artists called themselves Dadaists. Dada or Dadaism was a form of artistic anarchy born out of disgust for the social, political and cultural values of the time. It embraced elements of art, music, poetry, theatre, dance and politics. Dada was not so much a style of art like Cubism or Fauvism; it was more a protest movement with an anti-establishment manifesto.

Then for a long time no one was Dada.

Then I started being Dada.

And recently became the greatest Dada in the world by literally writing about urine and dog poop on the walls an American museum.

A lot of artists when they get a museum show will write an elabrate artist's statement about who they are and what their work means and even give you a few tips about how you should feel about it.

Not me.



I figure you know dog shit when you see it, and telling you it's Shinola won't change that. It was fun to scribble all these poems on the wall of a museum. And the kids loved it.

I even got these two dupes to talk about my poem about dog poop on their morning show


I guess being the greatest Outsider Poet as well as the greatest Dadaist currently alive is a huge responsibility, but I'll just go on as I normally do without getting too big of a head.

You like to get a nice book for your kids? I recommend this dog poop book that I wrote. 

According to Poets and Writers I'm going to be at City Market in Rockford selling this book and teaching children about oxymorons on June 23rd. Sounds like a terrible thing to do, but I guess I'll be there.

Hey, also the show where I wrote poop and pee on the walls runs through October 1st at the Rockford Art Museum




Eye Rhyme is my favorite piece from the book because it has a complexity and teaches a literary lesson about eye rhyme without being overly didactic. I put about forty lessons like this in the book as Easter eggs for kids to find, but I didn't tell them where all of them are. Lessons about different form, meter, rhyme schemes, and literary terms like paradox and oxymoron.

But don't let that cat out of the bag it's just mostly about poop and pee. You could do me the best solid by buying a copy from my Ebay listing because they only get 10%

Atrocious Poems A To Z 

No comments:

Post a Comment